Friday, September 25, 2009

Evening Update (9-25)

Kevin is still fairly sick. We're pretty sure his weekend with Karsie is done. Even if he got better through the night we would want to give it at least a day to let it pass, which brings us to the end of the weekend. He's really bummed.

Karsie, however, is doing great! She is getting just a teensy bit more from the breast every time, so hopefully she will be a good little eater by the time they push her to bolus feeding (3 hours worth taken in 30 min.). She took about 22 mL this morning and 24 mL this evening. She is also getting 2 bottles a day and taking 10-15 each time. She is still spitting up, but she is producing much less volume. They decided to hold off on bumping her feeds up to 1 hour on-two hours off. The reason is not that Karsie isn't handling it, but that they want her to take a break from the daily increases before moving on. We're okay with that decision. We were thinking that she would need a break soon anyway, however we were thinking it wouldn't be until the next increase... but this one's fine.

Finally, there's been some talk about moving her to a different unit in Children's. The current unit she is in is the one in which she started, and it is for very acute babies. The other unit is a little more spacious, quiet, and for babies like Karsie that just need to eat and grow. We hope that if we move we still get our primary nurses, but we are very excited to move if given the opportunity.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. How exciting... I bet the other unit will be a little more laid back as well. I'm so glad that she is eating well and not spitting up as much!

    Big Hugs - Tiffany