Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bug's Bug

To give a quick update (as neither Kevin or Michelle have been in much today)...
Karsie is okay. She is still in the hospital and the surgeon says her case is not surgical! It would appear she has a major stomach bug... some kind of flu perhaps. She is being reintroduced to foods (pedialyte) and she will be increased as long as she tolerates the food. We have been so blessed by our families/friends who have been in the hospital all day with Karsie.
Last night, Michelle was sent to her parents house around 2am because she was super tired and not feeling well. Lo and behold, she is sick. It would seem that she probably has whatever Karsie has (same symptoms). She has therefore been banished from the hospital. There is a chance she has something different... and even if not, it would be terrible to pass this along to other patients as well.
This morning, Kevin was relieved by Nana to go get some rest, and upon waking up from his nap, he is also sick. His symptoms are slightly less than Michelle and Karsie's, so we are unsure if it is the same sickness.
Karsie is being so generous with her bug... she is learning sharing so early! We are hopeful this is a short-lived sickness... as it is terrible! Poor Bug.
We will continue to post updates...

Update (4-6)

So it's just after 2:00 a.m. and we're sitting in an emergency room. Albeit a different emergency room. Karsie was having a rough night as stated before. You know when you just know that something's not right with your kid? That's what was happening. Sunday right after her second nap she was really fussy and was obviously not feeling well. She was having a hard time with the feeding and gagging a lot more than normal. She seemed to perk up during the night so we didn't think much of it until morning. At about 4:00 a.m. on Monday Karsie went back to being in obvious pain and it didn't let up at all. Along with her crying came an obvious swelling in her omphalocele (her bowels were harder too) and runny stool. Finally, the last straw was when her G-Tube site started to pull back bile along with her formula and it looked as though much of her food was still there. The bile started to leak out of her G-Tube and around it and it started to become thicker like stool. Bottom line was she needed to go in.

We called Children's hospital in San Diego and they told us to come in. However, living 4 hours away without proper hydration (because we dumped out her food that was making her uncomfortable) we decided to check her into a local ER to put in an IV and get her vitals. We checked in around 10:30 a.m. and didn't leave there until 8:00 p.m. During that time the doctors didn't see any obstructions in the x-rays taken, her blood work looked normal except for an elevated level of white blood cells, and she started to poop (although it's not pretty...as if poop is). In other words, this is more suspicious of a viral infection or a stomach bug than a bowel obstruction, which was the immediate concern.

The doctors in San Diego still wanted to see us (especially the on-call surgeon) so we put Karsie into an ambulance that drove her all the way there, and we followed her. So we are sitting at Children's waiting for their own blood work and x-rays to compare before we get word on what they plan to do. Hopefully this is just a mild flu that she will just have to push through. We'll have more answers when we know more. Since it's been around 24 hours since we've had sleep and close to that when we were able to eat again, we may be a bit delayed tomorrow, but we'll post when we can.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.